Tuesday, 20 September 2016 10:45

Asbestos exposure has 'years-long' legacy for men and women

The use of asbestos was banned in 1999 and campaigners warn that the legacy of the material will continue for decades with case numbers unlikely to peak for another 20 years.

Campaigners have called for greater support for victims of asbestos-related cancer who are fighting for civil compensation.

It comes as an Inverness sufferer claimed that his former employer was deliberately ignoring his correspondence.

James Nicol believes he was exposed to asbestos while working on council houses in the 1980s. He wants Highland Council to acknowledge that he was exposed.

 

The charity Clydeside Action on Asbestos was set up in 1984 and initially dealt with shipyard workers.

However, senior welfare rights officer and director Phyllis Craig said the charity was now increasingly seeing people from other areas of employment, and also more women.

She said: "We are seeing a lot of people from the construction industry and we are seeing teachers, nurses, doctors, policemen and firemen.

"Many of them had been exposed 20 years ago.

 

Ms Craig added: "There is a myth that women were only exposed to asbestos if they washed their husband's overalls."

She said women were just as prone to the risk of being exposed to asbestos fibres working in a building, such as a hospital or school, as their male colleagues were.

 

Follow the link below to read more about this asbestos story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37371856?utm_content=buffer88a01&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Twitter feed

This @RoSPA stamp of approval provides you with reassurance and highlights the high quality of our E-Learning Heal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

2 days ago. via Hootsuite • 2 retweets